We don’t know for sure why men cheat, but can you turn away from it?
An act of cheating does not happen overnight. It takes several stages of temptation before one makes a decision. Temptation is not the sin itself; it’s what you do with the temptation that decides whether it’s a sin or not.
In fact, temptation is your chance to think things through and actually get away from it.
What to Do???
So what do you do when you’re tempted to cheat? What does a gentleman do when temptation beckons? Here are very helpful tips that your girlfriends would love me for:
- Turn and walk away. So someone is taking off her bodice right in front of you and maybe subtly (or deliberately?!) inviting you to lunge at her and you know…do your thing…what do you do? Well, turn away. Close your eyes and turn your back. Do this to every temptation that comes your way. Forget about being curious about it. Just turn and walk away.
- Think about your girlfriend. The conscience factor always works when avoiding temptation. So when you’re flirting with this ‘interesting’ woman, imagine your girlfriend’s face. Or, better yet, imagine her face when she sees you flirting with someone else. Oh just imagine the horrors of it! See if that doesn’t discourage you (or scare you) from moving further with your devious plans.
- Put yourself in your girlfriend’s shoes. So you’re flirting. So you’re thinking about starting a clandestine romance with the girl next door. How would you feel if your girlfriend, your ladylove, your baby girl – would do the exact same thing you’re doing? Or at least think about them? Not because you want to learn how to pickup a girl anywhere means you have to! How would you feel if she gets dangerously attracted to some other guy?
- Distract yourself. So you’re growing attracted to the girl in the next cubicle at the office. You feel like looking at her angelic face and you’re seriously getting more and more interested at her. Oh, and you’re seriously thinking about getting her number and asking her out for lunch? Boy, you’re mom’s going to be so proud of you! When you’re feeling a little tempted, distract yourself. Get mind away from her and find something else to think about or do.
- Do something sweet with your girlfriend. Nothing too grand on a random day – that seems suspicious. Even before she makes suspicions, reassure her (without her asking) that she is your only girl. This way, you are also reminding yourself that indeed she is, and she should be, your one and only girl.
- Talk to someone unbiased about your relationship and someone you could truly trust. When choosing a person to confide in, go for someone you truly entirely trust, and someone who you know is unbiased about your relationship. An ideal person would be someone who does not hate your girlfriend, and someone who does not hate you. At this point, the only one I can really think of who fits the bill is your mother. (Unfortunately, some dads have this weird sense of pride about their ‘boy’ being so popular with the ladies’).
There’s no excuse for cheating. It’s not like it ‘just happened’. Unless your brain is placed in some other head, I don’t think there’s an excuse for it at all. Know when the alarms are ringing and act on it.